- Table of Contents
- General Information
- Note: This FAQ is undergoing conversion to GTK+ 2.x
- Before anything else: the greetings [GTK 2.x]
- Authors [GTK 2.x]
- What is GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- What is the + in GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- Does the G in GTK+, GDK and GLib stand for? [GTK 2.x]
- Where is the documentation for GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- Is there a mailing list (or mailing list archive) for
GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- How to get help with GTK+ [GTK 2.x]
- How to report bugs in GTK+ [GTK 2.x]
- Is there a Windows version of GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- What applications have been written with GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- How to find, configure, install, and troubleshoot GTK+
- What do I need to compile GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- Where can I get GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I configure/compile GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- When compiling GTK+ I get an error like: make:
file `Makefile' line 456: Syntax error [GTK 2.x]
- I've compiled and installed GTK+, but I can't get any
programs to link with it! [GTK 2.x]
- When installing a GTK+ application, configure reports
that it can't find GTK. [GTK 2.x]
- Development of GTK+
- Whats this CVS thing that everyone keeps talking about,
and how do I access it? [GTK 2.x]
- How can I contribute to GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I know if my patch got applied, and if not, why
not? [GTK 2.x]
- What is the policy on incorporating new widgets into
the library? [GTK 2.x]
- Is anyone working on bindings for languages other than
C? [GTK 2.x]
- Development with GTK+: the begining
- How do I get started? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I use the Glade GUI builder with GTK+? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I write security sensitive/SUID/SGID programs with GTK+?
Is GTK+ secure? What's this GTK_MODULES security hole I heard about?
- I tried to compile a small Hello World of mine,
but it failed. Any clue? [GTK 2.x]
- What about using the make
utility? [GTK 2.x]
- I use the backquote stuff in my makefiles, but my make
process failed. [GTK 2.x]
- I want to add some configure stuff, how could I do
this? [GTK 2.x]
- I try to debug my GTK+ application with gdb, but it
hangs my X server when I hit some breakpoint. Any
Idea? [GTK 2.x]
- Development with GTK+: general questions
- What widgets are in GTK?
- Is GTK+ thread safe? How do I write multi-threaded GTK+
applications? [GTK 2.x]
- I'm doing some stuff with GTK+ in a separate thread, and
properly locking with gdk_threads_enter/gdk_threads_leave()
but the display doesn't update properly. [GTK 2.x]
- What's an easy way to run a function in the thread with
the main loop? [GTK 2.x]
- Why does this strange 'x io error' occur when I
fork() in my GTK+ app? [GTK 2.x]
- Why don't the contents of a button move when the button
is pressed? Here's a patch to make it work that way... [GTK 2.x]
- How do I identifiy a widgets top level window or other
ancestor? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I get the Window ID of a GtkWindow? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I catch a double click event? [GTK 2.x]
- By the way, what are the differences between signals
- Data I pass to the delete_event (or other event)
handler gets corrupted.
- I have my signal connected to the the (whatever) event,
but it seems I don't catch it. What's wrong?
- I need to add a new signal to a GTK+ widget. Any
- Is it possible to get some text displayed which is
truncated to fit inside its allocation?
- How do I make my window modal? / How do I make a single
- Why doesn't my widget (e.g. progressbar)
update? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I attach data to some GTK+ object/widget?
- How do I remove the data I have attached to an
- How do I reparent a widget?
- How could I get any widgets position?
- How do I set the size of a widget/window? How do I
prevent the user resizing my window? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I add a popup menu to my GTK+ application?
- How do I disable or enable a widget, such as a
- Shouldn't the text argument in the gtk_clist_*
functions be declared const?
- How do I render pixels (image data) to the
- How do I create a pixmap without having my window being
- How do I do drag-and-drop?
- Why does GTK+/GLib leak memory?
- Development with GTK+: widget specific questions
- How do I find out about the selection of a GtkList?
- How do I stop the column headings of a GtkCList
disappearing when the list is scrolled?
- I don't want the user of my applications to enter text
into a GtkCombo. Any idea?
- How do I catch a combo box change?
- How can I define a separation line in a menu?
- How can I right justify a menu, such as Help?
- How do I add some underlined accelerators to menu
- How can I retrieve the text from a GtkMenuItem?
- How do I right (or otherwise) justify a
- How do I set the background color of a GtkLabel
- How do I set the color and font of a GtkLabel using a
- How do I configure Tooltips in a Resource File?
- I can't add more than (something like) 2000 chars in a
GtkEntry. What's wrong?
- How do I make a GtkEntry widget activate on pressing
the Return key?
- How do I validate/limit/filter the input to a GtkEntry? [GTK 2.x]
- How do I use horizontal scrollbars with a GtkText widget?
- How do I change the font of a GtkText widget?
- How do I set the cursor position in a GtkText
- About GDK
- What is GDK?
- How do I use color allocation?
- About GLib
- What is GLib?
- How can I use the doubly linked lists?
- Memory does not seem to be released when I free the
list nodes I've allocated
- Why use g_print, g_malloc, g_strdup and fellow glib
- What's a GScanner and how do I use one?
- GTK+ FAQ Contributions, Maintainers and Copyright