GTK+ runtime for Windows
To run Geany under Windows you may need to install the GTK+ runtime libraries, depending on which download you use. If you use the full installer, a recent GTK runtime is included and you don't need any additional software.
If not using the full installer, you need to install a GTK runtime environment, e.g.:
GTK+ runtime for Windows 2000 and newer:
- GTK 2.16 is the most stable at the time of writing - if you have a higher version you should check the release notes to see if there are problems e.g. with theming.
- Since Geany 0.16, GTK >= 2.8 is required, which in turn requires at least Windows 2000 or newer.
(The Geany Windows executable can be downloaded from the Releases page.)
Windows build differences
Some features are missing:
- build support (implemented but might be still buggy)
- embedded terminal emulation (VTE, as far as I know there is nothing equal for Windows)
FYI, the original announcement for the Geany 0.7 Windows build (mostly outdated):
Windows developer tools
Geany does not include any developer tools such as compilers or interpreters, as we want to keep it lightweight. You will need to install any development tools yourself. Some links:
- grep (needed for Find in Files) - use UnxUtils.
- gcc, g++, make - use Minimal GNU for Windows. You should download the 'Automated MinGW Installer' program, as it is harder to install each tool separately. Note that for g++ you also need to install gcc.