Geany 2.0 is out!
We are happy to announce a new release of Geany!
Before going to the release highlights, let's first celebrate this day!
It's the 18th birthday of Geany! On October 19, 2005 Geany 0.1 was released. While this first version had less features than the new version, the spirit and project goals were the same and kept over time.
Geany aims to be a fast and easy to use code and text editor (some may call it even IDE).
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
For a comprehensive list of changes please see https://www.geany.org/documentation/releasenotes/.
- Split "session data" into session.conf, preferences are written to and read from geany.conf.
- Require GTK 3.24.
- Simplify project creation from existing directories with sources.
- Update Scintilla to 5.3.7 and Lexilla to 5.2.7.
- Use "Prof-Gnome" GTK theme by default on Windows for a better experience, the "Adwaita" theme can still be activated.
- Sync many parsers from the Universal Ctags project, this leads to updated symbol parsers.
- Many updated filetypes: Kotlin, Markdown (Robert Di Pardo), Nim (Zoom), PHP, Python.
- New filetypes: AutoIt (Skif-off), GDScript (David Yang).
- Updated translations: cz, da, de, fr, es, kk, lv, it, nl, pt, si, sk, ru, ua.
On some systems icons in Geany might be very big and so making the whole UI require a lot of space. This is due to an issue in the Adwaita icon
theme in version 43. If possible, update the Adwaita icon theme or
use another one.
Future versions of Geany might have a workaround for this issue (for details see
We want to thank all developers, supporters, translators and everyone who contributed to this release with patches, feedback, bug reports and so on. Thank you!
As usual, all downloads can be found on https://www.geany.org/download/releases/.
Happy Birthday, Geany!